The Sewing Forum

The Sewing Forum (http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/index.php)
-   Remnant Box (http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Interesting blog post (http://www.thesewingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=43489)

malachite 7th October 2012 17:49

Interesting blog post

(I have no affiliation with this blogger.)

http://portialawrie.blogspot.co.uk/2...ing-trick.html

Enthusiast 7th October 2012 17:59

Re: Interesting blog post

I concur completely. It is high time that television work up to the sewing revolution.

I have a vague memory of a sewing programme many, many years ago. Does anyone else remember this?

SJN 7th October 2012 18:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusiast (Post 345131)
I concur completely. It is high time that television work up to the sewing revolution.

I have a vague memory of a sewing programme many, many years ago. Does anyone else remember this?

I have a book with patterns that accompanied a BBC programme from the 1970's

feeleej 7th October 2012 19:11

I wonder if those who have the power to decide these things have the idea that sewing is mainly confined to the female of the species and would therefore lose half of their potential audience. :?:

They can probaly see that both men and women can be interested in cooking and property but probaly don't see men as sewers, even thought we know differently.

I, too, remember the TV series about sewing but I can't for the life of me remember the woman who did it - Ann Ladbury?? - maybe.

Gismoknit 7th October 2012 19:39

Does anyone know what happened to the sewing show that was supposed to happen..based on the 'British Bake Off' format?

Kim
x

Tamnymore 7th October 2012 21:11

I've had a dig round t'Internet. It's called the Great British Sewing Bee and it's supposed to be filmed this autumn. Whether it is going ahead or not who knows. Would really put sewing on the map in the UK if it did.

Hemelbird 7th October 2012 23:30

That blogger is spot on. So is the comment about the potential 'female only' audience but it occurred to me just the other day, that it should not be too difficult to make sewing/clothes-making appealing to a male audience as well as a female one. So much of creating a garment or other item is basically engineering - seeing how a parts are put together to create an finished item, choosing the correct weight of fabric/lining, how seams pull with or against each other, working with or against the grain of the fabric, taking into account the effect of washing, etc. It's almost more engineering or physics than art, really.

Maybe they should get a physicist to present a sewing show:grin:

Enthusiast 8th October 2012 09:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by feeleej (Post 345145)
I, too, remember the TV series about sewing but I can't for the life of me remember the woman who did it - Ann Ladbury?? - maybe.

You are right about Ann Ladbury. She did sewing programmes for the BBC in 1967, 1969 and 1982. It must be the 1982 series that I recall.

I hate the idea of a 'Bake off' style programme as I think the format is basically cruel. It would be much better to have a measured, informative series with close-ups of various techniques designed to produce a wearable garment.

lizzieg 8th October 2012 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enthusiast (Post 345204)
You are right about Ann Ladbury. She did sewing programmes for the BBC in 1967, 1969 and 1982. It must be the 1982 series that I recall.

I hate the idea of a 'Bake off' style programme as I think the format is basically cruel. It would be much better to have a measured, informative series with close-ups of various techniques designed to produce a wearable garment.

I too remember watching Ann Ladbury, I think it was on Pebble Mill at One? I so agree with you about a 'Bake Off' style TV programme. It seems that this is the only formula available on TV these days! I have been watching Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing series online (via subscription) this is a great series done in subject specific programmes that are informative and fun. I have been sewing for years but have learnt a lot!

I now teach as well and run 3 sewing clubs which are doing well with a wide cross section of ages wanting to learn to sew or to brush up their skills. So many women have a machine tucked away in a cupboard that never gets used. Basic Machine Skills is our most popular course! TV should be latching on to this trend and not just 'Kirstie Allsop' style but with more 'meaty' sewing as well.

SewingSuzie 8th October 2012 10:19

I remember a sewing programme on Channel 4 when it for opened, with two ladies one did sewing and the other knitting (Joy Gammon). I think the sewing lady was Ann Landbury but cannot be certain. I have the book somewhere and the sewing advice was spot-on which clear instructions on how to adapt patterns for your own shape and height. I loved it but not sure it got high viewing figures.

Enough cookery (even though I love The Great British Bake Off) bring on the sewing!