The Sewing Forum

Go Back   The Sewing Forum > Other Crafts > Crochet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st July 2011, 08:03

Total Stitches: 10,596.74

Default Attaching fabric to Crochet?

Not sure of the best way to do this - just finished crochet pillow front, would like to attach fabric to back - worried if I do this with sewing machine all my crochet hard work would not survive!
Any tips please?
Old 31st July 2011, 08:17
Conversationist

Total Stitches: 36,420.33

Default Re: Attaching fabric to Crochet?

if its fine crochet work I have attached similar to fabric (for edgings mostly) by making small holes around the fabric (sewing machine big needle no cotten) and then because it is fine crochet just simple crochet them together

if that is not possible I would hand stitch or I would do a small amount of crochet and test joining that using the blind hem stitch on the machine so see what it is like
Old 31st July 2011, 11:02

Thankyou Aaleigha.. will look at your suggestions
Old 1st August 2011, 08:09
Supplier
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 45,578.80

Make sure it is tacked firmly in place first.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:36
Supplier
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 30,395.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherhen View Post
Not sure of the best way to do this - just finished crochet pillow front, would like to attach fabric to back - worried if I do this with sewing machine all my crochet hard work would not survive!
Any tips please?
Do you mean that you want to use the crochet alone as the front and attach it to the pillow back? or do you mean that you want to mount the crochet onto the front of a pillow and then attach the pillow back? Are you making a pillow case or a stand alone pillow? How fine or coarse is the crochet (what size yarn/thread did you use) and how dense or lacy is the crochet? Can you post a picture of the crochet?

Regardless to the answers to all of the above questions; if it's done well and in an appropriate way there is no reason why your crochet work would not survive being attached to fabric by use of a sewing machine.

Last edited by Brenda P : 1st August 2011 at 15:37. Reason: question omitted
Old 1st August 2011, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda P View Post
Do you mean that you want to use the crochet alone as the front and attach it to the pillow back? or do you mean that you want to mount the crochet onto the front of a pillow and then attach the pillow back? Are you making a pillow case or a stand alone pillow? How fine or coarse is the crochet (what size yarn/thread did you use) and how dense or lacy is the crochet? Can you post a picture of the crochet?

Regardless to the answers to all of the above questions; if it's done well and in an appropriate way there is no reason why your crochet work would not survive being attached to fabric by use of a sewing machine.
Hi Brenda,
I have crochet front to fit the cushion I have bought, have some material that I would like to attach to the back. I had visions of joining 3 sides, placing cushion inside and then closing the last opening. I wasn't sure how to do it.. (ie, by hand stitching or sewing machine). I have used Rowan fine milk cotton for the crochet section, I had visions of trying to sew with machine and it 'getting trapped/snagging' in the machine - two different textures - therefore, not sure if I am 'over complicating this'.. (can't show picture at this time as someone sat on my camera and I've replaced it yet).
Thankyou.
Old 1st August 2011, 18:57
Supplier
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 30,395.45

OK, that's a 4-ply equivalent, so fairly heavy/textured in relation to most fabric but I'm still not clear how you intend to use it. I think you mean to make a cover to fit a cushion pad inside and to have the crochet attached to the outside of that cover.

If that is what you want to do I would:
1, cut out the two pieces of fabric.
2, add piping if desired to one piece
3, insert a zip between the two pieces
4, attach the crochet to the front piece of fabric *
5, with wrong sides together join the two pieces of fabric
6, slide the zip open, turn the cover right side out and insert the cushion pad.

Assuming that the finished size of the cover fabric is a little bigger all round than the crochet, the machining to join the two pieces of fabric won't touch the crochet.

* Attach the crochet as an applique motif - either by hand stitching all around it or by using a small zig-zag stitch.
Old 18th August 2011, 23:57
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 50,485.94

I regularly sew crochet to cotton materail but I only ever do so by hand sewing.

I would first sew the crochet onto a piece of the material you are going to use for the cushion cover. so the front of the cushion has 2 layers your crochet and a layer of material then your cushion pad then your next layer of material.

This way you can make sure the crochet doesn't lose shape and you can carefully stitch it not just at the edges to your material but all over in tiny little stitches that don't go all the way through your crochet.

I've done this many time's and it means the crochet retains its shaping for much much longer and the covers can be gently hand washed and dryed laid flat.
Old 20th August 2011, 07:38

Thankyou for this, interesting.. makes sense to do it this way..