The Sewing Forum

Go Back   The Sewing Forum > Machines > Overlockers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18th April 2012, 11:39
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 285,517,708.82

Default Re: Janome RE73

It looks like the Janome model that you identified earlier, but without the extra gathering foot.

As a general rule, I think places like Costco are good value for electricals. The only caution I would give is that if anything goes wrong, the chances are they will only be able to give a refund or possibly send it away for repair.... they are unlikely to be able to replace it because the stock turnover is so high. If you bought from a sewing machine shop or one of the reputable online suppliers, you'd have access to ongoing support and possibly an extended warranty.

My general rule is to use Costco/Makro etc for smaller/cheaper electricals where I'm happy that I will feel I have had good value if it lasts the year or so it is guaranteed, and that anything else is a bonus. At nearly 200, I'd be more hesitant, but that's just me.

If I were buying again, I'd go for this SMD-badged Frister at 199: http://sewingmachines.co.uk/SMD_over.htm. The advantages over the Costco Janome are:
  1. a 2-thread converter for very fine rolled hems
  2. the front of the machine opens up completely for easy threading (a huge issue with many overlockers)
  3. a 5-year warranty with paid courier collection and return in the event of a claim
  4. 12 free large cones of overlocker thread, a set of Frister scissors and a carry bag as standard free gifts

I have a branded Frister from SMD (without the 2-thread converter, sadly) and it is a very solid, reliable machine that I enjoy using.