The Sewing Forum

Go Back   The Sewing Forum > Patterns & Fitting > Pattern Drafting/Cutting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10th September 2009, 15:02
Chatterbox

Total Stitches: 12,733,671.59

Default Using Ubuntu Linux with Sewing software

OK - not a question many will need answering but I found I did after messing up my hard drive with various partitions and sections and operating systems and then it all coming to nought as the boot manager didn't work. Anyway, back to the point...

I now run a laptop computer with Ubuntu Linux as the only operating system (for most of you this will be Windows in whatever format it takes for you). I found that I couldn't run SophieSew, Thred or Embird32 in linux so was a bit lost. Bear with me - I was and still am on a very steep learning curve with Linux.

I had all of these programs on a back up disc along with all of my embroidery designs from various places apart form the recent ones. I saved them all to my user folder in Linux.

I installed the WINE application (nice name, hic!) which allows me to use Windows programs in Linux and found the SophieSew and Thred worked fine where they were but Embird32 needed to be in a program folder on a C drive like it is in Windows. I was at a bit of a loss on that as Linux runs in a different way but then - HOORAY! - found a virtual C drive and program folder in WINE.

Moving the Embird and password to that and running in WINE from here works perfectly.

Now I just have to keep fingers crossed about the Ultimate Box but I suspect it will be fine in WINE.

Sorry if this has lost anyone or is old hat to anyone using Linux for some time but I'm a newbie on it and we all have to start somewhere!