The Sewing Forum

Go Back   The Sewing Forum > Machines > Reviewing a Machine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Gallery Arcade Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reviewing a Machine Read members' reviews or write a review about a machine you have used.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28th January 2012, 17:01
Conversationist

Total Stitches: 44,449.51

Default Toyota Super Jeans

Have just put mine through the paces. Yes it does sew through multiple layers but I doubt it would sew through 9 layers as Toyota say. It is a bit plasticky and not that easy to thread. The bobbin is a normal top loading one and is therefore, ok. The spool cap does not seem to fit, the shank is so small, and therefore your thread spool may jump a bit. If you have a long thread spool, the spool cap will just not fit, I do not know how it is expected to. I have emailed Toyota about this. You would be better off using the large cone adaptor that sits behind the machine. The machine also seems to be speed specific, yes it does go over very thick seams but if too slow it does not like it much. There is no felt ring under the spool pin, which I would have expected, not unsurmountable though. It is a bit noisy but you might expect this with a heavy machine that sews denim. It does do what it says though and is good with denim provided you use a denim needle. The bobbin winds fine, no problem. You do need the gliding foot that comes with it for denim. The machine is lightweight and may need a rubber mat under it, although I did not find it a problem, it did not seem to move about when sewing. It has a some decorative stitches, which I have not tried yet, I have no need to as I have a Janome QXL605 which does all the decorative stitches I need. All in all it is great for sewing denim, it feels like a heavy duty machine and sounds like one, which is good, I guess. I think you have to sum it up as being just for heavy fabrics that your normal machine may not cope with so easily. I look at it that I would raher mess up a cheapy than a more expensive machine. I am sure there are machines out there that cope with everything. I would be a bit fed up had I paid the full priceof £149 instead of being offered the upgrade for £95, through Coopers, who, by the way, I suffered awful verbal abuse, hence after complaining they agreed to upgrade the machine from jeans plus to super plus. You can see the comments regarding Coopers on this forum, just type in Coopers. Incidentally, they did refund my money after I contacted Trading standards. You can look at other forums to check out Coopers, that is up to you. Please do your homework thoroughly before you buy. It may be that other machines can cope with thick denim wih the correct foot. I hope this review is useful to you, you can always contact me. I have yet to try the decorative stitches. The instrction manual is provided with both paper and CD which is in PDF format. Good luck, I do not think this is a bad machine, it does what it says, with the exception of 9 layers, which I, personally find a bit doubtful, unless it is really soft denim.